In carrying out the purposes of the State Hospital Survey and Construction Act, the department is authorized and directed:
(1) To require such reports, make such inspections and investigations, and prescribe such regulations as it deems necessary;
(2) To provide such methods of administration, appoint an assistant director and other personnel of the division, and take such other action as may be necessary to comply with the requirements of the federal act and the regulations thereunder;
(3) To procure the temporary or intermittent services of experts or consultants or organizations thereof, by contract, when such services are to be performed on a part-time or fee-for-service basis and do not involve the performance of administrative duties;
(4) To the extent desirable to effectuate the purposes of the State Hospital Survey and Construction Act, to enter into agreements for the utilization of the facilities and services of other departments, agencies, and institutions, public or private;
(5) To accept on behalf of the state and to deposit with the State Treasurer any grant, gift, or contribution made to assist in meeting the cost of carrying out the purposes of the act and to expend the same for such purpose; and
(6) To match funds with federal grants when required in order to obtain such funds in carrying out the act.