(1) The Veterinary Prescription Monitoring Program Task Force is created. The task force shall conduct a study to develop recommendations of which controlled substances shall be reported by a veterinarian to the prescription drug monitoring program created under section 71-2454 when dispensing drugs from a veterinarian’s office or an animal shelter. The study shall include appropriate methods and procedures of reporting by the veterinarians with the necessary data base field information. The task force shall utilize nationally available resources afforded by the American Association of Veterinary State Boards and the Department of State Legislative and Regulatory Affairs of the American Veterinary Medical Association in development of the recommendations.
(2) The task force shall consist of at least ten members appointed by the chairperson of the Health and Human Services Committee of the Legislature as follows: One member of the Health and Human Services Committee; two at-large members of the Legislature; three members selected from a list of six veterinarians provided by the Board of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery, one of whom is employed by or provides services at an animal shelter; one pharmacist nominated by the Nebraska Pharmacists Association or its successor organization; and two members nominated by the Nebraska Veterinary Medical Association or its successor organization. The task force shall also include a representative of the prescription drug monitoring program who shall be a nonvoting member and serve in an advisory capacity only.
(3) The members of the task force shall be appointed within one hundred twenty days after February 25, 2016. The initial meeting of the task force shall be convened within one hundred eighty days after February 25, 2016. The task force shall elect a chairperson and may elect any additional officers from among its members. All task force members shall serve without compensation.
(4) The task force shall report its findings and recommendations to the Health and Human Services Committee of the Legislature on or before December 1, 2016.
(5) For purposes of this section, animal shelter has the definition found in section 54-626.