The Legislature hereby finds and declares that:
(1) Childhood environmental lead poisoning constitutes a serious threat to the public health of the children of this state and the identification, treatment, and prevention of childhood environmental lead poisoning is a goal of the people;
(2) The effectiveness of distinguishing and abating lead hazards in the environment and thereby providing a safer environment to prevent childhood lead poisoning has been well documented;
(3) Childhood environmental lead poisoning prevention programs have had a tremendous impact on reducing the occurrence of lead poisoning in the United States;
(4) The United States Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, has as its Healthy People 2000 objective the identification, treatment, and reduction of childhood environmental lead poisoning; and
(5) There is a national effort to institute environmental lead hazard awareness action plan programs and to provide funds to implement the Healthy People 2000 objective.