Nebraska Revised Statute 71-3516.01
Chapter 71 Section 3516.01
Impounded source of radiation; disposition; procedure; expenses.
(1) The department shall keep any source of radiation impounded under section 71-3516 for as long as it is needed as evidence for any hearing.
(2) Prior to the issuance of an order of disposition for an impounded source of radiation, the department shall notify in writing any person, known by the department to claim an interest in the source of radiation, that the department intends to dispose of the source of radiation. Notice shall be served by personal service, by certified or registered mail to the last-known address of the person, or by publication. Notice by publication shall only be made if personal service or service by mail cannot be effectuated.
(3) Within fifteen days after service of the notice under subsection (2) of this section, any person claiming an interest in the impounded source of radiation may request, in writing, a hearing before the department to determine possession of the source of radiation. The hearing shall be held in accordance with rules and regulations adopted and promulgated by the department. If the department determines that the person claiming an interest in the source of radiation has proven by a preponderance of the evidence that such person (a) had not used or intended to use the source of radiation in violation of the Radiation Control Act, (b) has an interest in the source of radiation acquired in good faith as an owner, a lien holder, or otherwise, and (c) has the authority under the act to possess such source of radiation, the department shall order that possession of the source of radiation be given to such person. If possession of the impounded source of radiation is not given to the person requesting the hearing, such person may appeal the decision of the department, and the appeal shall be in accordance with the Administrative Procedure Act. If possession of the impounded source of radiation is not given to the person so appealing, the department shall order such person to pay for the costs of the hearing, storage fees, and any other reasonable and necessary expenses related to the impounded source of radiation.
(4) If possession of the impounded source of radiation is not given to the person requesting the hearing under subsection (3) of this section, the department shall issue an order of disposition for the source of radiation and shall dispose of the source of radiation as directed in the order. Disposition methods are at the discretion of the department and may include, but are not limited to, (a) sale of the source of radiation to a person authorized to possess the source of radiation under the act, (b) transfer to the manufacturer of the source of radiation, or (c) destruction of the source of radiation. The order of disposition shall be considered a transfer of title of the source of radiation.
(5) If expenses related to the impounded source of radiation are not paid under subsection (3) of this section, the department shall pay such expenses from:
(a) Proceeds from the sale of the source of radiation, if sold; or
(b) Available funds in the Health and Human Services Cash Fund.
- Administrative Procedure Act, see section 84-920.