(1) Each wholesale drug distributor doing business in this state shall be inspected by the department or a nationally recognized accreditation program that is approved by the board and that is acting on behalf of the department prior to the issuance of an initial or renewal license by the department under section 71-7448.
(2) The department or such nationally recognized accreditation program may provide for the inspection of any wholesale drug distributor licensed to engage in wholesale drug distribution in this state in such manner and at such times as provided in rules and regulations adopted and promulgated by the department. As part of any such inspection, the department may require an analysis of suspected prescription drugs to determine authenticity.
(3) The department may accept an inspection accepted in another state in lieu of an inspection by the department or a nationally recognized accreditation program under this section.
(4) The department or such nationally recognized accreditation program may charge and collect fees for inspection activities conducted under this section.
(5) In addition to or in lieu of the authority to inspect for purposes of licensure and renewal, the department may adopt and promulgate rules and regulations which permit the use of alternative methods for assessing the compliance by a wholesale drug distributor with the Wholesale Drug Distributor Licensing Act and the rules and regulations adopted and promulgated under the act.