(1) Any hospital, facility, rehabilitation center, or specialty level burn or pediatric trauma center that desires to be a designated center shall request designation from the department whereby each agrees to maintain a level of commitment and resources sufficient to meet responsibilities and standards required by the statewide trauma system. The department shall determine by rule and regulation the manner and form of such requests.
(2) Upon receiving a request, the department shall review the request to determine whether there is compliance with standards for the trauma care level for which designation is desired or whether the appropriate verification or accreditation documentation has been submitted. Any hospital, facility, rehabilitation center, or specialty level burn or pediatric trauma center which submits verification or accreditation documentation from a recognized independent verification or accreditation body or public agency with standards that are at least as stringent as those of the State of Nebraska for the trauma care level for which designation is desired as determined by the State Trauma Advisory Board shall be designated by the department and shall be included in the trauma system or plan established under the Statewide Trauma System Act. Any medical facility that is currently verified or accredited shall be designated by the department at the corresponding level of designation for the same time period in Nebraska without the necessity of an onsite review by the department.
(3) Any medical facility applying for designation may appeal its designation. The appeal shall be in accordance with the Administrative Procedure Act.
(4) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (2) of this section, designation is valid for a period of four years and is renewable upon receipt of a request from the medical facility for renewal prior to expiration.
(5) Regional trauma advisory boards shall be notified promptly of designated medical facilities in their region so they may incorporate them into the regional plan.
(6) The department may revoke or suspend a designation if it determines that the medical facility is substantially out of compliance with the standards and has refused or been unable to comply after a reasonable period of time has elapsed. The department shall promptly notify the regional trauma advisory board of designation suspensions and revocations. Any rehabilitation or trauma center the designation of which has been revoked or suspended may request a hearing to review the action of the department.