Nebraska Revised Statute 79-1210
Chapter 79 Section 1210
State Board of Education; grant or deny petition; criteria.
The State Board of Education shall grant or deny any petition to change educational service unit boundaries based upon the following criteria:
(1) The educational needs of students in the affected school districts and the affected educational service units;
(2) The economic viability of the proposal as it relates to affected established educational service units or affected proposed educational service units;
(3) Any community of interest among affected school districts and affected educational service units;
(4) Geographic proximity as such would affect the ability of affected educational service units to deliver service in a cost-effective manner;
(5) Compliance with the requirements of the Educational Service Units Act; and
(6) In the dissolution of one or more entire educational service units, evidence of consent from each educational service unit board and two-thirds of the school boards or boards of education of member school districts representing a majority of students in each affected educational service unit.
For petitions that change educational service unit boundaries by transferring a learning community member district from one educational service unit to another educational service unit with existing territory in such learning community, the requirements of subdivisions (1), (2), (3), and (4) of this section shall be deemed to have been met if the affected educational service units will each have at least two member school districts after such transfer.
- Laws 1987, LB 688, § 6;
- R.S.1943, (1994), § 79-2202.07;
- Laws 1996, LB 900, § 927;
- Laws 1997, LB 806, § 59;
- Laws 2008, LB1154, § 13.