Nebraska Revised Statute 79-1239
Chapter 79 Section 1239
Tenure; permanent certificated employee; amendment or termination of contract; grounds; procedures.
(1) The board by a vote of the majority of its members may determine that a permanent certificated employee's contract shall be amended or terminated for any of the following reasons: (a) Just cause as defined in section 79-1234; (b) reduction in force as set forth in sections 79-846 to 79-849; (c) a change of leave-of-absence policy; (d) failure of the permanent certificated employee upon written request of the board or the administrators of the educational service unit to accept employment for the next school year within the time designated in the request, except that the permanent certificated employee shall not be required to signify such acceptance prior to March 15 of each year; or (e) revocation or suspension of the permanent certificated employee's certificate by the State Board of Education.
(2) If a hearing is requested by the permanent certificated employee, the formal due process hearing for the purpose of this section means a hearing procedure adopted by the board which contains at least the following: (a) Notification to the permanent certificated employee in writing at least five days prior to the hearing of the grounds alleged for the termination or amendment of the permanent certificated employee's contract; (b) upon request of the permanent certificated employee, a list of the names of any witnesses who will be called to testify against the certificated employee and an opportunity to examine any documents that will be presented at the hearing shall be provided at least five days prior to the hearing; (c) the right to be represented; and (d) an opportunity to cross-examine all witnesses, examine all documents, and present evidence material to the issues.
(3) Notice of the hearing shall be given in accordance with the Open Meetings Act. Upon an affirmative vote of a majority of the board's members present and voting and upon specific request of the permanent certificated employee or the permanent certificated employee's representative, the hearing shall be conducted in a closed session, but the formal action of the board shall be taken in open session.
(4) A majority of the members of the board shall render its decision to amend or terminate a permanent certificated employee's contract based solely upon the evidence produced at the hearing, shall reduce its findings and determination to writing, and shall deliver a written copy of the findings and determination to the permanent certificated employee.
- Open Meetings Act, see section 84-1407.