Nebraska Revised Statute 79-2,149
Chapter 79 Section 2,149
The Legislature finds and declares that:
(1) Pregnant and parenting students face enormous challenges to completing their education. The majority of young women who become pregnant in high school leave school which detrimentally impacts their financial, social, and educational future, as well as the future of their children;
(2) Schools have an obligation to keep pregnant and parenting students in school;
(3) Schools must remove overly restrictive or inflexible absence and leave policies so that pregnant students can attend prenatal medical appointments and parenting students can attend appointments for pediatric medical care, provide opportunities for students to make up school work or allow alternative education for students who become pregnant, and make accommodations for breastfeeding or milk expression; and
(4) Young women should not have to choose between completing their education and parenthood.
- Laws 2017, LB427, § 1.
- Effective Date: August 24, 2017