Nebraska Revised Statute 79-301
Chapter 79 Section 301
State Department of Education; State Board of Education; Commissioner of Education; powers; duties; vacancy, absence, or incapacity; deputy commissioner; duties.
(1) The State Department of Education provided for in Article VII, section 2, of the Constitution of Nebraska shall consist of a State Board of Education and a Commissioner of Education. The State Department of Education shall have general supervision and administration of the school system of the state and of such other activities as the Legislature may direct.
(2) The State Board of Education, acting as a unit, shall be the policy-forming, planning, and evaluative body for the state school program. Except in the appointment of a Commissioner of Education, the board shall deliberate and take action with the professional advice and counsel of the Commissioner of Education.
(3) The Commissioner of Education shall be the executive officer of the State Board of Education and the administrative head of the professional, technical, and clerical staff of the State Department of Education. The commissioner shall act under the authority of the State Board of Education. The commissioner shall have the responsibility for carrying out the requirements of law and of board policies, standards, rules, and regulations and for providing the educational leadership and services deemed necessary by the board for the proper conduct of the state school program. In the event of vacancy in office or the absence or incapacity of the Commissioner of Education, a deputy commissioner shall carry out any duties imposed by law upon the commissioner.
- Laws 1953, c. 320, § 1, p. 1053;
- Laws 1971, LB 220, § 1;
- R.S.1943, (1994), § 79-321;
- Laws 1996, LB 900, § 129;
- Laws 1997, LB 347, § 6;
- Laws 2015, LB525, § 6.