Nebraska Revised Statute 79-701
Chapter 79 Section 701
Mission of public school system.
The Legislature hereby finds and declares that the mission of the State of Nebraska, through its public school system, is to:
(1) Offer each individual the opportunity to develop competence in the basic skills of communications, computations, and knowledge of basic facts concerning the environment, history, and society;
(2) Offer each individual the opportunity to develop higher order thinking and problem-solving skills by means of adequate preparation in mathematics, science, the social sciences, and foreign languages and by means of appropriate and progressive use of technology;
(3) Instill in each individual the ability and desire to continue learning throughout his or her life;
(4) Encourage knowledge and understanding of political society and democracy in order to foster active participation;
(5) Encourage the creative potential of each individual through exposure to the fine arts and humanities;
(6) Encourage a basic understanding of and aid the development of good health habits; and
(7) Offer each individual the opportunity for career exploration and awareness.
- Laws 1984, LB 994, § 1;
- R.S.1943, (1994), § 79-4,140.01;
- Laws 1996, LB 900, § 375.